Friday, January 27, 2012

Forbidden

There are many things that I am not permitted to do. They are not excluded because they are physically impossible, but because of social or rank restriction. For example, it is bad form to track muddy boots upstairs into D.A.’s study. Or to threaten the shadow-kitten with unholy retribution for damaging my socks. Intentionally spooking Mirtai. And of course, I follow the rules associated with remaining dutiful to my beloved.

However, there are limitations placed by others, the latest of which comes from Nemeiah. I am not to visit Tyr’s Hand. Not due bad behavior on my part, nor by a sweeping edict of the Bishop. But because of unsettling incidents that recently occurred there. Nemeiah wishes for my absence so that I will not be endangered.

I am not comfortable with being forbidden thus. To demean myself, it is a bit like telling one’s guard dog to wait outside while the robber is still inside the house. And, of course, I now cannot access the abbey library to enjoy its quiet and resources. But I am currently obeying Nem's preference despite my compulsion to defend.

No comments:

Post a Comment