Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Assumptions

An assumption is when one concludes on a matter before all of the information has been gathered. It is sometimes the only way to make a decision when not all the data are available. It is also a useful tool in interaction when one’s speaking partner is not completely forthcoming. Or, when you are playing a game that requires guessing.

I am amused by most of the assumptions made about me. Frequently I allow these to persist without correction, though some of these assumptions are true, and some are decidedly not. For example, that I am a tireless soldier and lacking in any sense of humor. That I am paired with a woman. That I am paired with a man. That I am paired with no one and am opposed to any physical relations. When others settle on the last, this is to my greatest advantage, I think.

Other assumptions are more troublesome. Some believe that I am utterly evil and should be destroyed, without the possibility of reconciliation. Others believe that I have already atoned. I have expressed, at least in various conversations, that the truth, as a philosophy, cannot be obtained utterly because perspective and assumptions will always cloud it.

No comments:

Post a Comment