Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Impressions

There was an armored Knight in the city the other day, whose boorish and empty-headed behavior reminded me much of a paladin. Except that he is a death knight. He sped to the defense of others who did not crave it, utilizing magic and arms when subtlety should have prevailed. He even accosted a woman, calling her a heretic, for some affront to Bishop Lightwarden.

I assumed, as did others, that this Knight’s heavy armor had removed all sense between his ears. But after a conversation with a fellow observer, this might have been a deliberate manipulation of our first impressions. A deception. The situation is more complex than I realized, and this was reinforced by a conversation I overheard from his inexplicably chatty ‘heretic’ target. The affront was a complicated maneuver on her part to reclaim her property, or she claimed it was hers, but caused uneasiness to the Bishop.

This Knight’s zeal in defending the holy man may not be genuine. Zazii, the fellow observer I mentioned, tested him. The fellow demonstrated more adaptability and social agility than expected. The Knight also followed me on one occasion, to my annoyance. I mentioned this to Westel and he seemed concerned. He knows a bit about first impressions. 

If this man is skilled at deception, and the fangs I spotted on him are genuine, it would be best to watch for him. I do hope that Nemeiah is keeping her distance. The Bishop can protect himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment