Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Demons

I write of physical demons, not metaphysical. Their species are as diverse as their forms and abilities. Their motivations are less varied. Every demon craves destruction, but respects power. A warlock demonstrates his dominance, or offers a deal or exchange that is favorable to the demon. The demon will then obey, willingly if it is beneficial, and unwillingly if they are stronger than their master. In the latter situation, the master's lifetime is usually shortened.

The most common demons are those that warlocks keep. But for every one of these there are more advanced, more powerful, and far less complying types.

Succubus, Incubus, Queen of Suffering. Mistress of Pain. Infernals, demonic hounds, felhounds (they are not the same), Terrors, Fiends, Imps, Doomguard, Felguard, Wrathguard. There are others, of course. Varimathras, the traitor of the Undercity, was a Nath’rezim, or Dreadlord in Orcish, and this is the sort that I worry about.

Aside from succubi. But that is different.

I suppose I wished to record this sliver of knowledge because an acquaintance, Varkkali, brought an infant felbeast to me yesterday. It was distressed and in pain. I determined that it had an abscessed tooth and removed it with permission. Do’xian observed this and I gave the tooth to him, thinking that Viktor would approve of it. 

I realized later how strange this scene might have seemed to anyone less familiar with these creatures. Or anyone of holy persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment