Friday, March 23, 2012

Masked

Mirtai took some time to rest before relating the suffering experienced during her lengthy slumber. She and Mira were trapped together by the enemy in darkness, and tormented for what seemed to them, months. Ultimately, Mira was not strong enough to endure. But she passed some part of herself to Mirtai. A precise description of the torture involved I do not wish to record.

Mirtai’s account reminded me of the one detail regarding the enemy I had tried to ignore. Part of Viere’s final act, I suppose. The form that the enemy has chosen.

His grief, Nathan has kept masked. There was no doubt of his affection for Mira, and of hers in return. He will not speak of his emotions and I have not pressed him. My own would likely surface, but I do not wish for him, or Mirtai, to see this. It is also why I do not seek counsel from any outside of this house for now. I am supposed to be the strong one. The soldier. Their protector. 

No comments:

Post a Comment