Saturday, December 31, 2011

Yearly Reflections

In the spirit of the year’s end, I pause to record the perceived changes and developments that occurred over the last months. You have witnessed enough of my habits by now, journal, to not be surprised when I state that I view introspection as a waste of energy, as it is most likely inaccurate and unproductive. However, I do believe that there is merit in observing the development of others.

My D.A., of course, transformed from a hunted, bereft individual, far too dignified for their artificially low position, into a tower of power and sensuality. And while not lacking in confidence before, they now face the world with a poise gained by wisdom, and compassion, and I am utterly taken.

Viere lost me, and his depraved machinations led to his destruction. His killer remains un-apprehended and I have no intent to pursue it, though I remain cautious and watchful. His property became mine, by more than one definition.

Mirtai has, perhaps, had the worst of it this year. She began it as the favored mistress, but my departure and Viere’s subsequent downfall cast her into the ungentle hands of the worst of mortals. Without her powers she foolishly - or courageously - sought me and my protection. I nearly killed her for the attempt. In recent months she is listless, but improved in her skills and extremely complying.

Then there is the Tribe. Individually, there are those that have changed a great deal in the short time I have been familiar with them. Westel, for example, claims that he is no longer the hedonistic pig that I encountered months ago. We had an interesting discussion on that subject, as he did not recall the impression that he gave, and I am conscious of his recent behaviors. Coilla was forcibly made aware of the risk to herself by keeping an enemy, and not preparing herself for his inevitable challenge. She then increased her training and is able to defend herself properly.

Vivvienne was courted by and married Talil, only to divest herself of him due to his inexcusable negligence. She gave birth to their son. Anannia also conceived and delivered her Sandstorm. And Urukha, though only recently, begins to show signs of an internal power she avoided for some time. Whiteclaw would likely state that he is still the same, but that he has taken a formidable lover in recent months and moved his family into the Tribal lands indicates a new direction. Pip learned to read a few letters. Vindy promoted Branam from guardian to husband, and carries his child. There are others still who are waiting for their great changes, if they choose to pursue them.

Nemeiah is still a timid and shy creature when strangers are about, but after her betrothed abandoned her, she braved the ever-burning fires of Stratholme and, against my judgment, dedicates herself to Tyr’s Hand and the Light. She recently stated that she will seek seminaries and become properly ordained.

The Regent, though, remains a bit distant and mysterious. Her responsibilities and values are quite obvious, but how that regard and prowess was obtained I have not yet discovered. I believe there is a vulnerability that she hides. But she is too skilled to allow others to see it easily.

Perhaps I changed as well. I told you that I would not reflect thus, and so will not commit in ink any confession in that regard. But I will name a few accomplishments for which I am proud. Empowering myself. Gaining the trust of the Tribe. Vanquishing Shadowstep. Winning the affection of my beloved. This next year I know that the challenges and difficulty will not wait for the fireworks to settle upon the earth before rising up. But for the first time, I rather look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment