Thursday, May 3, 2012

Touch


“Please do not touch me.”

There are times when I wish that this message was emblazoned somewhere on my person. Some, like Urukha, insinuate themselves with patience and consideration. Others, such as Westel, press the boundaries and must request permission before I consider or volunteer it. And still others do not ask at all, and this I do not always approve of.

It is not that I dislike touch. It is an alternate communication form when words are insufficient. But when touch is used not for comfort or pleasure, but for manipulation or harm it is more difficult to calculate its benefit. Even when the one that caused this confusion is no longer present. That and direct contact often leads to uncomfortable questions regarding my status as a death knight. Thus, it is better to default to not permitting it.

But touch is also an expected component of interactions between friends. With the Regent however, I am not certain if she is testing my guard or expressing affection. More often I operate by believing the former and this led to those words being uttered. She was displeased with me after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment