Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pick Your Pain


When I traveled to Tyr’s Hand to visit Nemeiah, the conversation turned to the effect that the Light has on Forsaken. As I may have written before, undead Light-wielders experience pain when utilizing or contacting Holy energies. Nem endured this frequently while deployed to the Vanguard due to healing the injured.

We also spoke of how each of us managed the particular difficulties associated with undeath, and she ascertained my meaning when I mentioned the need for “activity.” Or as it is also known, the endless hunger. This requires death knights to inflict suffering in order to avoid madness and pain.

She claimed that she had no rightful complaint about discomfort from the Light when I was subject to this. I disagreed. I told her that she could always choose to not utilize her power and thus not suffer the effects. She refused this option. No explanation did she offer, but I understood that her desire to assist outweighs the urge for self-preservation.

When she asked if it was the “same” for me, I did not understand the question. Reflecting, I believe she may have wondered if I could choose to not cause suffering, as she could choose to not heal others. But it is not possible.

How ironic that one receives pain to help others, and the other inflicts harm on others in order to suppress it within herself. When asked, Nem offered assurances that this did not affect her view of me.

((Sources:  “When undead use or are healed by the Holy Light, does it cause them actual damage or harm, or does it only cause them pain (addition to the intended effects of the spell)?”
“Are blood elf death knights still afflicted by their racial addiction to magic?”
Ask Creative Development – Round II Answers. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372142.))

No comments:

Post a Comment