Monday, May 7, 2012

Past Mercies


Lately I have considered the decision to allow Viere to live. In spite of my beloved encouraging me to not think of it at all. Certainly he deserved to die, but I chose to fight him with fists rather than blade. The damage I inflicted was not lethal. Perhaps the mercy of it sprang from a desire to watch him struggle without me, though I do not dismiss the possibility that anger clouded clear judgment.

I had little time to act compared to the long time to build resentment.

However if I had been thorough and he died then, Maag and Mirtai would be gone. Viere would not have attempted to summon the Nath’rezim that tormented my beloved and destroyed Mira. A great many things would be different. The true question though is whether it would be better.

But that question may be dismissed entirely if I am able to destroy the enemy. All remaining legacies and inherited suffering will be eased. Only memory would endure. It will not restore those that have been lost or damaged, but at the least there may be a chance for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment