Thursday, May 17, 2012

Holding Back


There is a common accusation I receive from several among my friends and acquaintances. It can best be exemplified in a conversation with another death knight, one that I had just met. He remarked first that I was quiet for an Elf. When pressed he stated that those that were talkative did not have good stories. Because I was silent this meant that I must have interesting things to say. I told him it was not so.

But it is not solely with strangers that there is a tendency toward being conservative. Nem said the other day that it seemed as though I “held back.” The Regent delights in tricking information from me. And Westel pestered until he learned something that he did not know already.

Some of this likely originates from curiosity. But I am also aware of the social requirements regarding the sharing of personal history. More often it is simpler to extract this knowledge from others because they are eager to talk of themselves. Only later, if at all, do they realize the imbalance. Westel noted it specifically once and it may influence current discussions.

Is there a cause for not speaking of myself? Yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment