Friday, May 11, 2012

Polyamorous


By definition, this is a term for one that keeps multiple lovers. There may also be a marriage, legal attachment or vow associated with one or more of these partners. It seems to be very common while the opposite: a lifetime committed to one individual is rare. Some cultures do promote this as a norm and it what many are accustomed to. Westel called it “in style,” and I believe that this is a perceptive description.

Unlike clothing that may change with the season however, my opinion is that a polyamorous scenario may lead to great emotional damage. When multiple partners compete for attention, jealousy manifests. When someone accustomed to freedom is limited, or when one desiring singular devotion endures a wandering partner, conflict arises.

Astoreth and Coilla are among those that embrace(d) this, though Westel also did for a time according to his own admission. To this list I add Pip, but not Urukha. And then there was Viere.

Pip I mention because she refused to renounce oaths to a still-living lifemate when joining with Urukha. Coilla maintained three lovers at once for a brief time (my darling has an amusing term for this that I should not record here). Astoreth, I am told, was married and with permission pursued other interests; her husband did the same.

Viere does not entirely fit the definition, though of course he already had Mirtai before I entered the arrangement. Because of him my opinion carries the influence of emotions and not calculated logic. Being polyamorous is not my preference now, nor ever was it. I believe there is a greater challenge of character, will and ability with a single worthy partner. The difficulty is discovering one person that deserves that faith and regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment