Thursday, May 24, 2012

Canning


This is the preservation of food by sealing it into pressurized jars for later consumption. While I cannot completely trust her candor the Regent seems extremely interested in this. I thought it a bit silly to pack away things for later when the seasons change and new things will be available. Why endure the trouble of storing it?

We engaged in a fairly intense argument on the subject and she called forth examples of the Shu’halo tribes who keep food for the lean months. Or the Tribe itself would gather a harvest and then use the produce later when certain sorts of crops do not grow.

The Regent thought that my conservative tendencies would morph into an interest in canning. When I asked if chocolate could be preserved thus, she revealed that it couldn’t. Unless in syrup form, which is not as desirable. So I rebutted. I do think that some of the combativeness may have been exaggerated for the sake of entertainment. And ultimately I do not require food so storing it away would be a misuse of energy.

But later I thought of the others in my household, and how they must eat. Pride may not permit me to ask the Regent for more information on canning, but Mirtai could find it interesting and appropriate for her domestic labors. Even if I still think it is silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment