Thursday, April 19, 2012

Frostberries

There is a certain variety of berry that grows in the crater of Coldarra that is dark in color and subtle in its sweet flavor. When I mentioned that my drake enjoys eating them, the Regent suggested (read: demanded) that we gather them and treat him.

We traveled to Coldarra and roamed about the forested edge of the place, searching the bushes. We managed to accumulate two buckets’ worth, which were packed with snow in order to preserve them. Despite her wild flying, I kept hold of all of them. The next day, after I noticed that they were not staying chilled, I asked if we could hurry with the treating.

In Piki’alo I gave Mayhem the buckets of berries, with the Regent present to observe. He consumed all of them in rapid fashion, and then dropped himself upon the ground like he would not move again. Upon examination, I realized that he was intoxicated from the berries. Despite my efforts to freeze them, they had begun to ferment and he was inebriated.

The Regent, of course, found all of this quite amusing. She could not remain for long after, though she did offer to let me wait in her study while Mayhem recovered. I declined at first, but then the heat of the day became oppressive and I did retreat. 

The first lesson learned is that if I collect these berries again, I will know to consume them immediately. And the second lesson was to not be stubborn in refusing shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment