Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day of the Dead

Several days ago, Urukha took me to see where her family farm once stood, and where her parents and siblings are buried. She told me the story of the place.

The remarkable part of this story is how Urukha blamed herself for what occurred. And that she, with Pip’s assistance, gradually accepted what had happened.  For all the rough and crude edges of the Horde, I have seen more tears from Urukha than any other individual, Orc or no, in my public acquaintance. She possesses a great capacity to endure emotion, even when those sentiments are not pleasant.

Yet despite these unfortunate events, I am envious of both her memories and her self-reconciliation. In the wake of her story I thought of my own ‘family,’ and its destruction. Viere’s death was not of my direct doing, but my departure inspired him to take ever more extreme risks. If I had stayed, would he still live? Could he have changed?

I do not think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment