Thursday, February 16, 2012

Titles

The similarity between a nickname and a title is that both are bestowed by others and cannot be assigned to oneself. Though I have witnessed many that call themselves “General” or “Knight-Captain” without any record of promotion or skill. And there are those that so embrace their title that it transforms into a nearly alternate identity, such as the Regent.

I do not care for titles under most conditions. They are pretentious, self-serving, and often utilized solely to cow a social opponent. There was one time when D.A. used titles to devastating effect. It was when the Goodman refused to recognize us as the owners of the place he haunted. My beloved drew up to full height and announced an impressive string of laurels. The Goodman sputtered and submitted immediately.

There is no title that I claim. If any were relevant, these dissipated upon my death. It is why I corrected those like Za’zii and Gom’jun for so long when they applied “Miss” to the front of my name. Though I have since grown accustomed to this. It is not a sign of disrespect.

Goodman referred to me as “Soldier” at first. After the battle with the shadow-spectre, he has adopted “Captain.” I confess that I do not discourage this.

No comments:

Post a Comment