Saturday, February 4, 2012

Hierarchy

In every wolf pack there is an understood set of ranks that each animal abides by, if they wish to remain in the pack. They work within the hierarchy to keep their position secure, or fight to progress it. Often have I referred to the Tribe as a pack of wolves, because I see similar characteristics, the most obvious of which is protectiveness.

When a wolf enters a pack, their rank is determined by a display of strength. In the Tribe, all start at the bottom and advance as they prove their ability. The comparison is not perfect then, of course. But it is quite interesting to think on.

Beneath the leader, though, the hierarchy becomes quite complex. I realized this a few days ago when Westel continuously intruded into the space about me and playfully demanded hugs. I demurred, continuing to step away instead of protesting violently. With Whiteclaw, there is no bluster or challenge to his fighting prowess (though there has been some amiable competition involving knocking each other off of things). The two men are officially Tuskguards, and I am the undefined “Friend of the Tribe.”

Not being a part of the pack, officially, makes my situation ambiguous. There seems to be no clear classification for the little black cat within the wolf’s den. However, the Regent did inform me that my custom talisman would be soon completed, so there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment