Friday, February 24, 2012

Shadow-Spectre

The enemy appeared yesterday. The plan was to utilize Mirtai to seek out something that we needed in order to defeat the shadow-spectre: the binding that keeps the additional spirit trapped. That spirit is the daughter of the dead Lord. I may go into detail regarding why only Mirtai could do this at another time. D.A. gave her a draught that pulled her into a state of sleep, subduing the mind but letting the body move.

Goodman Nathan eagerly joined us when we searched, and Mirtai walked directly to where the binding was hidden. It was a black phial very similar to those I had seen Viere use. Before I could take it, Mirtai lunged in and opened it. That purple mist she breathed in, I recognized.

She then came awake, but was not Mirtai. She was the lord’s daughter, Mira, and she was quite terrified of me. Nathan exclaimed her name, and this brought the shadow-spectre down upon us. It attacked him first, and I descended on it to restrain it. I commanded him to take the girl to the house, where my ward, the one powered by the many candles, would protect them.

I held to the spectre, and D.A. struck it with dark magic. Nathan and the girl reached the house, and then the spectre turned to overwhelm me. It choked me and ravaged my throat with its claws, and I struggled. I had the phial still, the one that had contained the daughter’s soul, and heard D.A. call to me to open it. When I did, D.A. spoke the words that sealed the spectre inside. The mother took her daughter's place.

It seems now that the immediate threat has passed, but many questions persist. The greatest in my mind is: With the girl, Mira, restored, where is Mirtai?

No comments:

Post a Comment