Monday, February 6, 2012

Kinship

Urukha and I had a bit of a chat yesterday, where she told me of her ventures into the shattered realm of Draenor. She said that she felt compelled to return to the place of her birth, and was disappointed that not more was being done to recover it for her people. I pressed her on this compulsion. She said that it was possible her ancestors, or family, that wanted her to go. Ties of kinship.

During another walkabout with the Regent, I described a second incident with Naomi, the little Death Knight that I protected the Tribe from. The Regent asked if I felt any sort of kinship with her. Or specifically, any nurturing drive to help the wayward fledgling on her journeys in the world. I expressed that I felt no such bonds with Naomi. No matter how clearly she needed the guidance.

Upon reflection, I note that there is no other Death Knight that I have any lasting relationship with, aside from the decidedly negative one I have had for years with the Darkrider. Thus, Urukha saying that she felt directed by her departed family unto Draenor, and the Regent presuming in error that death would bind blackened knights into an unliving family, was a fascinating contradiction. 

Perhaps the difference is in that Urukha was long encouraged to love her kin, while Death Knights are designed to kill everything, including each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment