Saturday, February 25, 2012

I Am Here For You

I am not designed to give comfort. That sort of emotional warmth conveyed through the proper words at a precise moment, or by touch. With those that I consider friends, I am attempting to learn the behaviors that they require. With D.A., I would hope that I already know them. But still I make errors.

There are those around me that at times need comfort, though they do not openly request it. Nemeiah is frightened after another incident at Tyr’s Hand. She did not forbid my presence there as before, but declared that it seemed everyone she cared for has fallen to misfortune. I entreated with logic. Saying that misfortune does not solely target those with whom she had an attachment, but this did not seem to cheer her.

When I faltered, she said that it was good enough that I was simply there.

Later, Urukha expressed to Pip that she had a difficult day. Fighting in the shattered lands of Draenor had made her uneasy, and she had visited the graves of her family. I asked how she found things there. But Pip, with a mouth full of peanut butter, simply stated “I am here for you.” That is translated through the full mouth, of course. Those words immediately soothed Urukha. I was surprised.

But when I sat with the Regent for our renewed outing, intending to use my presence and what I had learned to ease (what I thought was) her distress, it did not work. The words would not form on my lips, and we spoke of other things rather than what was drifting about in my mind. Had my concern been false, I think it would have been easier to speak clearly, and lie. But because it is genuine, it is infinitely more difficult to express. I do not understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment