Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Legend of the Green Knight


For several evenings we sat together and my beloved read this story aloud to me. It is a long poem and though it could not all be traversed at once, I found it enthralling. This could be because I enjoy listening to my beloved all the more since we returned.

The story is of a young knight who, in order to impress his king undertook an impossible quest. He is tested and ultimately survives but not without deceit and cunning rather than adhering to all of the righteous tenets of knighthood. I remarked to my beloved that I thought he was trying to be loyal but was not prepared for what would be required of that declaration.

Of course I thought of my own quest and the imperfections it had revealed. But the real value gained from this book was that it made for a pleasant escape from the other trials that trouble us yet. And for this I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment