Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Protective


There was an incident in Orgrimmar when Nemeiah moved to heal one of her friends, and I pulled her back. She already had significant burns on her hands from the Light. I have known clinically and theoretically of the pain and damage caused an undead by wielding holy energies, but had not seen her use it. The only action I could conceive was to halt her.

Her anger with me was not lingering, fortunately, but the circumstances caused me to think. It reminded me of when the Regent stepped too near a cliff in Darkshore and I dragged her from the edge. Or when Vivvienne had been abandoned with child by her previous beau. Or Mirtai when she appeared at my border, beaten and broken. And of course, when my beloved was taken by the Witch of the Web.

Viere designed me to protect. It is one of the two main functions that I embrace – the other being to provide. It pleases me to do what I am made to do. The difficulty always originates with the decision whether or not something (or someone) is worthy of it.

But Nem questioned one of the fundamental assumptions of design when we spoke of other things that had happened recently. I require a bit more time to consider what she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment