Monday, August 13, 2012

Marriage


During a tour about the ruined kingdom of Gilneas I brought the Regent to a place that had several rows of benches and a lattice arch. I thought it a lovely spot to visit but she said that it reminded her of tragedy, and then suddenly asked if I was married. Or if I had ever been. The answer of course is no, not currently and I do not know of the past. She also asked what my view of marriage was but I managed to not answer.

Later I thought on it to examine my opinion. It is clear that I would make a poor match, having no title, status or exorbitant wealth to offer someone of D.A.’s station. And no capacity to bear children.

I calculated what could then happen were the topic of marriage ever proposed. A strange, powerful emotion overcame me as I considered it. It took a moment to identify what that feeling was.

Absolute panic.

1 comment: