Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Friend of the Tribe


Some time ago I was given the status of “Friend of the Tribe” to the Burning Tusk Tribe. I did not request it, nor did I take much advantage of it other than to attend meetings, gatherings and utilize the talisman that the Regent gave to me.  

From the moment she learned that my beloved had been saved, Urukha, the current leader of the tribe and who once called me family, treated me with suspicion and later disdain. She pushed me outside of the bounds of her association, yet she expected that I would also obey her command to disclose danger. But I am not a Tribe member; she has no power over me, no authority to leverage. And I would not tell anything “as a friend” to anyone who approached me thus.

Nemeiah thought that this deterioration of regard may have been because Urukha did not know whether I was the same after returning. But she also did not attempt to learn. Multiple opportunities I presented and with each she became more difficult to communicate with, culminating in a series of letters between us wherein she indicated just how unimportant I was to her, and then she insulted me.

Silence followed until yesterday. When she admitted some mistake with how she had responded to the issue of Kruega, but for the rest of it I was still in the wrong. I, who had just endured the shadow realm and with my beloved's health still tenuous, only wished for privacy. 

It was as though Urukha was given a measure of authority and as a result, forgot how to be a friend.

Though she is not the original leader she represents and speaks for the Tribe. If that is the representation she offers then I desire no official affiliation with it. So in private I informed the Regent and formally resigned that status as Friend of the Tribe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment