Friday, August 17, 2012

Suffer None


“Screw friends.”

Another death knight made this insightful remark while I was chatting with Vivvienne on the zeppelin between Orgrimmar and the Dark Lady’s city. It was in response to Vivvienne mentioning the situation with the tribe. Unfortunately it would not be the last time that I encountered him.

Vivvienne and I continued to speak and try to sort a few of the things yet between us.  And we acknowledged the shifts and subtleties in such arrangements. I have concluded that it is easier to do as that other death knight encouraged and suffer no friends, than to manage the complexity and challenge of myriad different kinds of them. But that is much less interesting.

The next day I visited Nemeiah in Tyr’s Hand and the same death knight appeared. When he was impolite with her, I repeated a few of his words back to him. He was condescending and snide to me but by comparison was more pleasant to her (barely). He believed that he behaved how a death knight ought to, which explains why he has no need for friends. Nemeiah was noticeably annoyed with him. She asked why it was that some people acted thus.

My response – assuming that her question was literal and not rhetorical – was that some that have endured loss feel a great fury and dissatisfaction with the world. And their unpleasant method of interacting with others ensures that everyone else is as unhappy as they. 

No comments:

Post a Comment