Friday, September 21, 2012

Sacrifices


Over two months have passed since the return from the realm of shadows. Having rescued my beloved and with both of us nearly restored, I collect reflections on the losses and sacrifices.

I now possess only Whisper of the two demon hunter blades. Ruin was destroyed in that moment I freed my beloved from the Witch. No weapon could have survived that strike; nor would I have allowed it to, after. It is set aside.

The Soul Anchor spear I have put away in the hope that it and the dagger are never needed again.

Viere lives. What he occupies himself with I know not, nor do I intend to discover the answer. As long as he respects my borders he is not a concern.

The friendship with Urukha and by extension, formal affiliation with her tribe is ended. Still I cannot calculate what caused her to behave with such disdain and belligerence toward me while I suffered from the effects and horror of my journey. She once called me sister. Even offering to adopt me into her family. I gave her counsel when she asked it, and honored her departed kin. I now imagine her congratulating herself on being rid of me, calling herself brave and accomplished for turning on her nearest friend. No communication or apology has she offered since the last inflammatory conversation more than a month ago. Thus, I consider our association concluded.

But the highest cost my beloved still bears. I have done everything within and without reason to speed healing and bring comfort. It is something I cannot fight or shield against. Nor is there anyone to vilify except for the Witch and myself. It will remind both of us for the rest of my beloved’s existence what price we accepted order to be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment