Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Off-Balance


Sometimes a stranger approaches me for conversation and they believe that they can cow me with it. While often I invoke the assumption that the weight of one’s helmet proportionally restricts intellectual capacity, it pleases me to methodically dismantle the notion sometimes.

This last instance was from an exceptionally tall elven woman in Orgrimmar. She initiated the interaction with a few belittling remarks and noting the (rather obvious) fact that I am a death knight. When I returned with rigid politeness and then altered the topic she never regained control of the conversation.

In fencing the advantage is gained when one’s opponent is off-balance. And then with every strike after that balance is never reacquired. This is what I did to this odd, red-eyed woman before abruptly ending the discussion. She then retreated and I returned to my business.

Perhaps I am boasting a bit. But it was entertaining. And not all socialization is thus: a few days later I had a lovely chat with a troll shamaness.

No comments:

Post a Comment