Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Knighted


Often have I written of the ideals of chivalry, politeness and proper behavior, but concealed the shame that I did not know whether I was qualified to speak on them. To my great disappointment, death knights are almost never knightly, despite our name. Without remembrance I could not claim to be a real knight myself, and certainly could not claim nobility after death.

When my beloved read the story regarding the Future King and his knights, I asked whether one could still claim knighthood without recalling whether or who had bestowed the honor. The answer was that one’s behavior was more important. That same evening however, D.A. asked me to obtain a sword.

I was confused and somewhat distressed by the request because my beloved does not wield swords. I fretted over whether this preluded a desire for combat; something I never want my beloved to be involved in again. But I could not refuse. In Dalaran I acquired a silvery blade appropriately expensive and beautiful, as suits D.A.’s tastes.

To my astonishment, that night the sword was used to affirm and dub me Knight and Champion of my beloved’s house. As the head of that house this was well within D.A.’s powers and discretion to bestow, and was one of the greatest gifts ever given me. I am no longer undefined or unqualified. Even with a gallon of ink I would still find it difficult to express how thankful and overjoyed I was.

And still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment