Monday, July 16, 2012

In Service


When I brought my beloved home, Mirtai and Nathan rose to assist instantly. I am extremely grateful to them and confess that my manner was rather commanding and demanding at first. They tolerated this. Mirtai may even have been settled by it, as she appeared near panic after witnessing D.A.’s state and grievous injury.

Again Mirtai offered her strength but I refused this time. For her to serve does not make her what the Lord of the Castle made of his servants. The sacrifice of others set his table and satisfied his comfort; but it meant nothing to him. The Lord had said that I was young, implying that I did not understand the way of things or how to behave properly. The ladies themselves seemed to view me as something uncultivated and ferine.

But that exploitative domesticity I realize is not what I desire. In particular when Mirtai is concerned. We both know what it is to be on the opposite side of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment