Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Courting Confusion


In society it is considered appropriate and expected for a man to approach the father (or guardian) of a woman he admires to ask permission to court her. In some communities the rules for this are complex and lengthy, but now it seems this tradition is mostly discarded.

Mirtai is my charge. I am also prone to formality. Therefore, any man seeking her should approach me for approval. But it appears that she pressed Nathan during my absence. When she confessed it, she said at first that he intended to speak to me after D.A. recovered. But then she told Nathan immediately thereafter that I wished to speak with him. Both of us were confused and tense when we stood facing each other and attempted to discuss it.

Somehow I managed to offend him. Likely I was too critical regarding his past with Mira (remembering that they shared a secret affection against her father’s wishes). Yet I am fond of Nathan and would give my approval if he would only ask. But he did not ask. The issue was not resolved to my satisfaction though we agreed to let it alone until a better time.

So I am left bewildered. And wishing that I could seek my beloved’s counsel, who knows far more about this sort of thing than I. Before all of this, D.A. was convinced that there was something supernatural that pulls those two together. A remnant of Mira, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment