Saturday, June 9, 2012

Social Games


At social gatherings and even when sitting about near the Tree in Orgrimmar, the Tribe plays games. These seem to be utilized in order to learn of each other and to entertain through a structured means. Those not as inclined toward conversation may participate fully even when they are not otherwise sociable.

But the games are not always welcomed either. Kuvasei asked at the last Tribal meeting if I drank, and when I requested specifics she invited me to a “drinking game.” An undead taking part in this sort of thing is nonsense; and it becomes more unappealing when I hear stories of debauchery. But in her petition the young warlock implied something else. An accusation of not being able to “get to know” me better without using this method of trickery. Of course I did not attend.

Urukha asked if there were any games played with my household. I mentioned that there were none, at least of the variety employed by the Tribe. She then lent gifted to me a box with the ingredients for a game called Checkers. I brought this home and showed it to D.A.

The response was lukewarm and my beloved introduced different diversion that was played while growing up. Though it also involves a board and pieces, it is more complicated than chess on multiple levels and with complex rules. Unfortunately we did not have a proper set and I was dispatched to fetch a specific one.

The details of its acquisition I should not record except to say that D.A. felt somewhat guilty, but pleased at having it. The game is called Kriegspiel, or “wargame,” and it was delightful to learn and play it with my beloved.

No comments:

Post a Comment