Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Saying Goodbyes


I dispatched letters and visited others before preparing to depart. Not everyone could be written to or contacted with the limited time, nor do I possess the energy to explain it all.

Nemeiah shrank from me when I told her where I was going. Or it could have been because I rejected her offer of prayer. I hope that she will forgive me.

Mirtai’s sympathy moved me in an unexpected way. I told her that I was sorry for how terrible I had been to her. And she wept and asked my forgiveness in turn. She said that she had never felt genuinely content or warm before coming to this house. She then hugged me and offered some of herself so that I could heal and begin the journey.

Nathan, who sustained serious wounds during the battle, I designated as her protector. He would have occupied this role regardless; their affection for each other is unmistakable now. If I am not successful and do not return as I anticipate, at the least I will know that she is cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment