Wednesday, June 27, 2012

From the Realm of Shadows #6 - Viere


“If you kill me, never will you know. Put me down for our old friendship, Annjia. I have suffered as you do not imagine. Let your old Master help you!"

This he said to me as I held him by the neck and prepared to crush it. Unfortunately it was persuasive. Viere’s presence after the battle was not something I anticipated because Mirtai had told me that he was dead. She was incorrect. I do not think this was a deliberate fabrication on her part. She believed he was, and so I did also.

The Nath’rezim, when he made Mirtai mortal, had occupied Viere’s body and placed his spirit into the body of the imp. Mirtai even mentioned the imp once to me offhand – I should have given it more attention. This was also what caused my hesitation at the beginning of the battle. I knew that confronting the enemy meant that I would see Viere's face again, even if it was not truly him anymore. But it seems he was punished heavily these long months. He was nearly dead in that pathetic form. Bloodied and beaten.

It was also with him that I made the pact for the means to enter this realm and search for my beloved. Thus I avoided contact with any that might try to help or prevent it. I was not in possession of faculties that would facilitate explaining why I had bargained with my own devil. May I be forgiven if this dark deal is fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment