Monday, October 10, 2011

Puzzle Pieces

Someone once called me a puzzle. They were complaining in a mild way about how I am rather opaque about my activities and motivations. When I countered that not all of the pieces were present, she replied, "Oh I know I've got a lot of pieces missing. Some of them perhaps lost forever, but eventually I'll collect enough and get them put together to get an idea of what the picture is."

I have not seen this person for some time now. While I will not comment on the irony of their sporadic contact, this metaphor intrigued me. Is it possible to form a complete image of someone?

Some pieces are, quite rightly, kept secret. Others are readily visible. And others may seem obvious, but are actually disguised. I believe that by myself, there are too many pieces that are lost and hidden to complete the puzzle.

What I discovered these many months is that the lonely pieces of one individual may intersect with another’s rather nicely. And theirs with another beyond that. For those like myself who started with missing pieces, this is one way to feel complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment