Saturday, October 22, 2011

Death Knights

What is a ‘real’ death knight? As with Forsaken, there seem to be many variations on undead soldiers and their relative rate of decay and dissolution.  I believe this depends on the manner in which they died, how long ago their death occurred, and how they were subsequently raised.

I have heard rumors of some knights that did not, in fact, perish before they were raised. But this seems to be rare, and likely other grievous damage was done to them if their lives were not stolen. Some knights retain their original memories, personality and coloring. Some are little more than walking weapons, angry at the world and all that lives around them.  And still others think of nothing but sex, and satisfying their desires.

The purpose I was raised for required that I be mostly intact, though I cannot bear children. I am well versed in warfare, indulgence, and to a lesser extent, society. It is a marvelous form, truly. Albeit unnatural, and unwanted.

This, I believe, is what signifies a death knight. Something precious: identity, control, self-determination, or even our soul, was stolen from or deprived us. We were designed to battle, and then be discarded. Now that the creator of this armored shell has died, collectively, we search for purpose.

I found mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment