Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Misrepresentation


When Westlynn surrenders from a disagreement before every argument has been exhausted, I worry. For as long as we have been friends she never seemed bothered by how I represented myself to others. But during a visit to her home, her mother came upon us and asked me about my interests.

I answered in typical fashion to avoid her scrutiny. 

When we left the house, Westlynn rounded on me and expressed her displeasure with my response. Why should others not think highly of me, and why would I diminish myself? We spoke again in the days following and she relinquished her position suddenly before I could offer a robust explanation. If I understand my species (the female variety) at all, this means that I am in a great deal of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment