Thursday, January 10, 2013

Little Things


"Here we’ve been through a whole archive of shit together… and we’re still worried about little things.”

Westlynn said this after I confessed a concern regarding her view of me. I had stopped by the place where her family stays currently (the vinemaster is there – convenient), and she rather quickly spotted and persuaded me to visit upstairs. Ostensibly to receive a gift, but it was natural for us to fall into conversation.

The gift was a rice-pouch that smells of jasmine and can be warmed to hold and relax. I enjoyed it, due to the obvious, but did not wish for her to think that I required any comforting. Softness, weakness or that sentimentality that I assumed triggered her disdain.

But this view originated from one of our first interactions. When Talil’s brother propositioned her in a pompous pose and she ridiculed him. She now clarified that it was not all hard-shelled individuals that deserved the mocking, only those who possessed nothing underneath that could support their pride. I had behaved this entire time thinking that any display of feeling would invoke teasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment