Friday, October 26, 2012

Unto Shadow #3 - Old Friends


Sometimes being so far away forces one to reflect on who is left behind.

I had a lovely tea with Vivvienne before departing. She and I had not conversed for a time, and I thought it appropriate to invite her for a chat. We met in a tavern in the bear-people lands. Neither of us was terribly impressed with some of the edible fare. She informed me of a new development in her life that frankly, did not surprise me. She then rightly commented that I never speak of my beloved. I enjoyed the conversation though.

Nemeiah and Westlynn’s farewells were each a different challenge. I rushed a letter to Westlynn after to try to ward against any misunderstanding that would linger unresolved in my absence. Nem is left alone and I am dissatisfied with that. But there is little that I may do from a distance now.

The final goodbye was to Mirtai and Nathan. Mirtai appeared anxious and Nathan stood as steady as ever. Both entreated us to return home as quickly as possible. Unknown to Mirtai, I had spoken with him the day before to give details and answer questions regarding the venture. And we talked of her, briefly. I indicated my view and vouched for his privacy. It is the least that I can do for the stalwart service he has given.

No comments:

Post a Comment