Monday, November 12, 2012

Unto Shadow #12 - Gifts


My beloved and I brought gifts to our host and hostesses out of gratitude for their hospitality. They were selected with a mind for individual personalities (or in Sophia’s case, a shortage thereof). I was the one who managed the presentations.

Sophia was easy to please because she seems to be satisfied with anything shiny. Kaelyn received something pretty, or at least I think it is, but am biased because it was one of my better rose hybrids. And to Victora I gave something ostentatious. I had no use for that gaudy crystal chalice. She hinted that she did not either, in her ambivalent response.

For the Lord it was difficult to envision what to give a man already in possession of wealth and power. Except something with more power. An undamaged relic found during one of my most fruitful ventures. But I confess additional motives in the desire to remove that object from my treasury, and my calculation that anything to please and strengthen an ally in this realm is not wasted.

He expressed his surprise that I had not kept it for myself. Of the ladies, I believe Kaelyn was the most grateful despite her gift's simplicity. I expect that Victora has already shattered her own gift against a wall somewhere.

It really is impossible to satisfy everyone, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment