Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Unto Shadow #28 - Kaelyn


While my beloved declined attendance due to feeling ill, I met with Kaelyn for a simple dinner. Only the two of us attended, and this I generally approved of. She expressed her concern for D.A.’s condition and I thanked her for sending us wine and books while we retreated.

Kaelyn is, as I may have written before, the youngest of the Ladies here. She bears a fair complexion, red hair, blue eyes, and a kindly disposition. Alvarr seems to favor her in a quiet way over the others.

The conversation and company were pleasant, and a welcome diversion from other thoughts. She asked questions about my realm, and those who dwelled there. Most curious was she of elves, trolls, and holidays. She remembered a figure called “Father Christmas” from her own world (before she came here), but such traditions are no longer observed by the Lord or any of the Ladies. To me, it appeared that she wished that they did. Even their birthdays drift forgotten. Kaelyn tries to remember when hers occurred but is no longer certain of it.

She confessed to boredom at times from dwelling in such a vast castle, with no visitors and only her “sisters” to entertain herself with. Given Victora’s demeanor and Sophia’s limitations, I understand this.

We also exchanged information about our homes. She seemed genuinely stunned when I told her how Mirtai and Nathan (both elves) served of their own will. Yet she would not tell me precisely where the Lord’s shadow-servants originated.

I confess that I enjoyed chatting with her immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment