Friday, March 15, 2013

Selfishness


I write of the ideas surrounding a particular brand of fulfillment. Not glory or accomplishment, but the satisfaction that emerges in spite of, or as a result of harm to others.

There is a separate case of each embodied by men within my acquaintance. The first should conjure no surprise as Viere, who sought fulfillment of his selfish desires in opposition to those he exploited. The second is the Lord of the Castle. He is a bit more complex because those harmed by his selfishness were all willing at some point.

Of Viere I have written extensively, and so will not spend more ink on the subject.

The Lord I must speculate on purely because I do not know him well and only observed his behavior. The main manifestation of his greed was the acquisition of additional companions, though Victora clearly disapproved of sharing him. I believe the Witch, of all individuals to be the cause. Understanding now more of his past relationship with her, prior to her demise at his and my blade. How he lost her prompted him since to obtain more and attempt to fill the void.

He then was forced, inevitably, to make a choice between his possessions.

((Written in the margin)) I do not mean to insult Kaelyn – may she rest in peace - or Sophia by referring to them as objects. The Lord treated each with respect and affection and tended most of their needs, unlike Viere. I do not think he saw them as possessions.

((Back to the main page)) He favored one over the other and lost both. Yet had he never sought more, he would not have had to make that choice. It was his fault, as my beloved reminded me.

And I remember the expression he showed to me when Sophia, in tears, clung to him and reminded him that he still had her and her love. It was not the look of a man appeased by even that heartfelt plea. I am not optimistic that he will alter his course, particularly if he learned nothing and sees no wrongdoing in his acquisitions. He simply did what he wanted, and that defines selfishness when he knows it causes grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment